Monastic Island of Reichenau, Germany

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

After the visit to St Gall in the first afternoon I drove to Reichenau, not far from St Gall, close to Germany and during the trip I could see some landscapes of the Lake Costance.

My destination was the Monastic Island of Reichenau, included in the list of Unesco sites. The reason why the site was appointed to the list was the following one: "The churches on the island of Reichenau retain remarkable elements of several stages of construction and thus offer outstanding examples of monastic architecture in Central Europe from the 9th to the 11th century".

The first place I reached was the church of St. Peter and Paul, located in the western side of this peninsula.


Compared to the cathedral of St. Gall this church is simpler, less sofisticated, but also with the Rococo decorations on the ceiling:
Interesting also the closer museum with the story of the site, founded by Egino from Verona:
After that, I moved to the abbey of St. Mary in Mittelzell, a bigger complex compared to the church of St. Pieter and Paul. What I noticed first were the nice houses around
and then the monastery with the tower of the church
The interior part of the church was simple such as St. Pieter and Paul,
and what caught my eye was the area of choir and altar, especially the red altar
and the red-black-grey decorated windows
.
From this side you can access to the treasure room ( it costs 2 euros) and you can admire some frescos on the walls
and the treasures, probably with the rest of St. Markus.
Then you can visit also the cloister.
Then I went to the Yachthafen to take a little rest and watch the lake:
Unfortunately I could not visit the church of St. George in Oberzell as I realized I had to be in Karlsruhe and make the check in in a business apartment ( but the booking did not go well).

Well I have to say that the Monastic Island of Reichenau is nice, but honestly I saw places that could deserve more to be part of the list of Unesco sites: probably the fact to be an old monastic area made it part of this list. However, if you love the off the beaten track Germany, this can be a good option, but I would have explored the Lake Constance.

0 commenti:

Post a Comment

No spam allowed or comments with link to products or services: your content will be removed. Please check the Contact page for more info.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...